Peterborough Child & Family Centres (PCFC) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its staff, service users, volunteers and donors, maintaining the confidentiality of their personal information. Personal information may be provided to us through intake processes, volunteer registration, clinical databases collected by midwifery practices, donations, correspondence or other forms of communication.
Peterborough Child and Family Centres will not use, share or disclose personal information not needed for one of the identified purposes, without obtaining consent from the staff, service user, volunteer or donor, respecting the confidentiality of such information. (Express written or oral consent as obtained through a registration process or consent as provided by an authorized representative such as a legal guardian or power of attorney).
Such information may be recorded for the purpose of registering and determining suitability of volunteers, registering for services, administering a health service, processing and receipting a donation, responding to information requests, and/or complying with policies and procedures of the organization.
The Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information forms the backbone of the PIPEDA and PHIPA. The code was developed by the Canadian Standards Association and contains 10 principles to be respected.
1. All and any forms related to intake, registration and donations shall include a reference to our policy:
“Peterborough Child & Family Centres is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. The information you provide us may be used to assist in determining eligibility for service, suitability for volunteer position, administration and acknowledgement of your donation, to issue tax receipts, and to fulfill your information requests”
3. This policy will be posted to our website and made available upon request to all staff, participants and volunteers.
4. Peterborough Child and Family Centres strives to ensure that the personal information on file is as accurate and up to date as necessary for the identified purposes for which it is to be used.
5. Personal information is retained only as long as necessary to effectively provide services, volunteer opportunities, and for a reasonable length of time to meet any potential obligations or legal or
government requirements. In the case of donors, personal information is retained only as long as it is needed to process and receipt a donation, recognize a contribution and respond to information requests as required by law.
6. PCFC uses electronic correspondence to communicate with service users, volunteers and donors including program reminders, organization news, volunteer opportunities, and fundraising campaigns. We will not share or sell your information, and communication frequency is typically monthly or less. Recipients of this correspondence may opt out at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Releasing of personal information and document retention:
PCFC will not provide or share any personal information with third parties unless:
- We have consent or are authorized in writing by the client, volunteer or donor to do so;
- The information is necessary to process a donation or;
- Is required by law.
Peterborough Child & Family Centres shall use care when storing or destroying personal information in order to prevent unauthorized access.
PCFC’s Privacy Officer shall be the Chief Executive Officer. The Privacy Officer is responsible for ensuring that privacy legislation is complied with through the ongoing review of our information systems and procedures.
Peterborough Child and Family Centres Website
If information practices change at some time in the future, policy changes will be posted to the web site to notify of these changes and provide the ability to opt out of these new uses. Interested parties should check the PCFC website for information on our current practices.
Privacy Officer, Peterborough Child & Family Centres, 201 Antrim Street, Peterborough, ON K9H 3G5 or by email at email@example.com
Summary of the 10 principles of Peterborough Child & Family Centres code for the protection of personal information ǀ November 2006
1. ACCOUNTABILITY: We have designated a Privacy Officer who is accountable for our compliance with the principles of the Code.
2. IDENTIFYING PURPOSES: Before or at the time we ask for your personal information, we will identify the purpose for which it will be used or disclosed.
3. CONSENT: We require your knowledge and consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information.
4. LIMITING COLLECTION: The collection of personal information is limited to only the purposes we’ve identified to you.
5. LIMITING USE, DISCLOSURE, AND RETENTION: We will only use or disclose your personal information with your consent (or as required by law). And we will retain your information as long as necessary to fulfill identified purposes.
6. ACCURACY: We will keep your information accurate, complete, and up to date.
7. SAFEGUARDS: We will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards.
8. OPENNESS: We will make specific, understandable information readily available to you about our personal information policy and practices.
9. INDIVIDUAL ACCESS: When you request it, we will give you access to the existence, use, and disclosure of your information. You are entitled to question its accuracy and completeness, and its uses.
10. CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE: You are entitled to question the Privacy Officer about our compliance with any of these principles.