Are you seeking child care?
Our Child and Family Educators can help you explore child care options and provide resources to help you choose quality child care. Child Care in Ontario is regulated by the Ministry of Education, you can go here to learn more about the rules governing child care.
Explore your options:
Child Care Centres
- Government-regulated and inspected
- Children are with other children their age
- Staff members include professionals with training in early childhood education
- The centre has to meet certain standards of care
- Activities are designed for children at different stages of development
- A child care fee subsidy may be available
- Click here to find a licensed child care centre
Licensed Home Child Care
- Government-regulated and inspected homes that meet specific standards
- Siblings can be placed together
- Small group size
- Child care agencies provide home child care providers professional development opportunities, support and monitoring
- Child care fee subsidies may be available
There are two home child care agencies in Peterborough who can support you to find licensed Home Child Care or to become a licensed Home Child Care Provider:
Please contact these organizations directly for more information on the programs and services they provide.
Unlicensed Home Child Care
In Ontario, unlicensed, informal care is not regulated by the government. Unlicensed home child care providers are not inspected by the Ministry of Education, and are not required to meet provincial standards. However, the Ministry of Education does investigate all complaints from the public about child care providers who may be operating illegally.